Registered Charity no.1095337
The LNER Coach Association was formed in 1980 with the objectives of obtaining, restoring and operating a collection of ex-LNER and / or constituent companies vehicles. It also provides an umbrella organisation for members with privately owned LNER and / or constituent companies vehicles for eventual use on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
Thompson Third Corridor (TK) No.1623
It is heartening to report that the installation of the compartment shoulder lights has now taken place. Each toggle switch was dismantled in order for the internal wiring to be fitted, then the complete switch – all 28 of them – have been screwed into place. The next job entails connecting the two wires which protrude through the compartment wall into each switch – the first two were completed on July 16.
Meanwhile, in Essex, the first of the specially made lampshades for these switches is nearly ready. These are being manufactured in accordance with the LNER drawing.
The procurement of the complete shoulder light and lampshade was so easily going to the showstopper – we had no idea where replacements could be obtained and it has taken months to reach this stage. It is the LNERCA’s pleasure to record the intervention, enthusiasm and time spent of making all 28 of the toggle switches by Blacksmith Charlie Collett of Cirencester, Glos, who trades under the delightful name of ‘The Grumpy Blacksmith’.
Still on 1623, the toilets are nearing completion, with only the beading left to finish and the down pipes to the bowl to install.
Gresley Brake Third Corridor No. 3669
The countdown is on as 3669 is about to be placed into service – probably w/c July 20. Small finishing jobs are in hand, one frustrating one of which has been to cure a leaking toilet cistern; frustrating in that it did not leak previously. Clearly, we are using the wrong sort of water!
Its entry into service will be a magnificent achievement – an unbelievable transformation from the derelict, gutted ‘wreck’ when Marcus Woodcock first took it on.
East Coast Joint Stock Restaurant Third No. 189
Repairs to the lower roof cantrail is in hand by Andrew Daniel. This involves removing decaying sections and replacing by new.
On the east side (nearest the yard) most of the varnish has been removed from the two bodyside teak panels. This was in poor condition, with much of it ‘blown’ with ingress of damp.
At Shildon, work on shortening the 61’6” Gresley underframe continues. The expertise of an engineering expert who has knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD) is most welcome and appreciated by the LNERCA committee. The completed underframe (ex Shildon by Multi-Tal Logistics Ltd) is expected by August after which it will come back to Pickering. The intention is to stable it in Pickering yard, subject to permission by the NYMR’s C&W Supervisor, Jerry Hawley, pending the fitting of the various, many, components.
Thompson Composite Corridor (CK) No. 18477
An inspection was conducted by the LNERCA’s joiner, Andrew Daniel on Thursday July 16 to provide more data concerning the deterioration or otherwise of the framing. The corridor side is far worse than the compartment side and, surprisingly, the bottom rail will not need replacing in its entirety – as was the case with TK 1623.
Coupled to 18477 is the Thompson BG E110. The plan is to use this unique BG to store parts from 18477 when it is stripped, so saving an enormous amount of time looking for components – they will all be in one place.
Both the CK and BG are scheduled to be moved to Pickering fairly soon, provided contractors can deal with the main steam pipe insulation.
East Coast Joint Stock Restaurant Car No. 189
Some internal windows were removed for renovation – these are in excellent condition and it would appear only a sanding a revarnishing is required. Curiously, when removed it is evident that, originally, these were pivoted to open, tell-tale signs of the former recess for the pivoting pins being visible. This raises the question as to whether they should be re-installed to operate as originally intended.
A start has been made on removing the flaking varnishing from one of the intact body panels. Those panels which have splits will be removed, the crack contained by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack, then glued and clamped before sanding and refitting.
Meanwhile the ‘new’ underframe for No. 189’s body is now in three sections at Multi-Tal, Shildon where two sections have been removed at each end with a view to then marrying up the three sections and welding to form one shortened underframe. Needless to say, more work has been found necessary on this underframe to repair corrosion damage sustained during many years in store.
When all this is complete, we will be left with the underframe on which No. 189 is currently sitting. One possibility in the long term to make good use of this underframe is to place on it the body of a Composite Lavatory (CL) carriage body, which has resided on a farm in Scotland for some 50 plus years. The owner is again being contacted, re-affirming our wish to consider the practicalities of whether this LNER non-gangwayed CL might be able to be obtained and transported south.
LNER Fish Van No. E76169
There is a keenness to try and push this rebuilding forward because of this van’s usefulness in being a storage facility – particularly for our larger components which take up so much room in our workshop, eg gangway end.
This van is marooned at the far end of the Long Siding, Pickering, but is due to move to Pickering yard outside the Atkins building as soon as the 21T coal hopper, beautifully renovated by the Pickering Wagon Group, can be moved to Goathland, To facilitate this, the P.Way department has agreed they will move it using the tamper on its next run to Goathland. This will then provide space, outside the Atkins building for E75169 to be parked to permit welding repairs to continue.
The Coach Week held in the last week of May saw progress made on three of the Association’s owned or affiliated carriages:
Brake Third Corridor No. 3669
After the highly successful and enjoyable launch into service on May 9th, the main item needing finishing is the toilet. The LNERCA has a long tradition of having its carriages enter service minus a working toilet and 3669 continued that tradition. However, in a definite non-traditional move, its completion is just about there. Beading and flushing pipe installation are now in hand.
Thompson Third Corridor No. 1623
This 1950-built unique carriage totters towards completion and it has already been decided that it, too, will be launched into service with due ceremony.
The new oval mirrors have arrived, these being fitted in the compartments and toilets.
During the week, its overhauled bogies received further attention by staff from Multi-Tal, Shildon (formerly Rail Restorations North East) and the eight springs (7 refurbished and 1 new) were lifted into place.
Good news to report is that the batch (28, plus spares) of compartment shoulder light fittings comprising a backplate, toggle switch and light bulb holder have been received from a Blacksmith in Gloucestershire.
East Coast Joint Stock Restaurant Third No. 189
This is now the major project as 3669 is all but finished and 1623 will be finished in a few months.
After much stripping of the lower roof fittings and roofboards, a section of poorly repaired lower roof rail was found. The defective repair contained ‘botch’ replacements of wood, and holes filled with sawdust and glue. Unbelievable.
An expert repair by the LNERCA’s joiner has now rectified this defect.
Meanwhile, internal paneling at the north end (the small sectioned area of the saloon) has been removed so enabling the glue blocks to be chiseled off, though, in many instances, they just fell off when tapped. This is why they are all to be replaced – the wrong type of glue was used when the teak panels were previously fitted into place.
Another lengthy job started has been the removal of the canvas on the lower roof (below the clerestory) and the compound used to bed in the canvas sanded/chiseled off to gain access to the screws which hold the roofboards in place. Many of these boards require replacing, as is obvious when viewed from the inside of 189.
Numerous visitors have been shown round this 1894-survivor.
Worth mentioning is the removal of the huge pile of teak, stored on the east side of the Atkins building. This was hindering free movement of the scaffolding tower. All this teak was man-handled out of the building and placed into the Gresley TTO 43632 which is destined to become a carriage for disabled users, the carriage to be fitted with a pair of widened doors and a toilet for the disabled. This carriage is owned by the NYMR and is to be the subject of a Heritage Lottery Fund bid, with assistance (project management) by the LNERCA.
Gary Lyne wields the hot air gun to melt the sealant on the beading holding the lower roof canvas in place. This is to gain access to the screws holding the beading in place.
A view showing along the top of the lower roof below the clerestory section. The beading covered in black sealant is the one being removed to allow the remains of the roof canvas to be removed – all of this will be renewed in due course.
The new section of rail is pictured in place, replacing a poorly repaired section undertaken when the carriage was in previous ownership.
An internal view of No. 189 showing the Acrow Props holding up the clerestory section – work is in hand to ensure the sagging is corrected. The roof boards have been removed – this allows access to repair the rail at the bottom of the clerestory section. The roof boards will be replaced using tongue and groove boarding.
The saloon section at the north end has had its internal panelling removed to gain access to the glue blocks which hold on the teak panels. The incorrect type of glue has been used and as a result has virtually no adhesive strength in them, often dropping off when tapped.
The two bogies from No. 1623 are now nearing completion of reassembly after full overhaul. Soon they will be re-united with the carriage.
Looking decidedly better than when it left the NYMR for overhaul by Owen’s at Sheffield, one of the springs is pictured back in place on the bogie. One of the eight springs was beyond redemption and a new one had to be made.
The batch of compartment should light switches have been received from a Gloucestershire blacksmith. It has taken months to sort out this manufacture which could easily have been a show stopper as regards the carriage’s completion. We have produced new brown plastic covers to fit over these switches (replicating the original Bakelite ones) and new lamp shades to the original design are being made.
Launch of BTK 3669
The long-awaited ‘red letter day’ finally came on May 9 when, after 13 years of toil, in the main by three men, £80,000 spent and goodness knows how many thousands of man-hours expended, Brake Third Corridor (BTK) No. 3669 entered service. The event was marked by an invitation to all those who had worked on the carriage and to members of the LNER Coach Association. Sir Nigel Gresley’s grandson, Tim Godfrey, officiated and declared the carriage ‘ready for service’ by cutting a ribbon.
Two runs were made between Pickering and Grosmont. The carriage, being built in 1930, pre-dated the A4 by a small number of years. One of the highlights was the buffet lunch provided by Marcus Woodcock’s wife, Mags, she of the Eatmore Pudding Club fame, well known in East Yorkshire for such culinary delights.
In true LNERCA tradition, the toilet was not quite finished - but who cared? The carriage has been requested back in Pickering yard to enable the toilet to be finished.
Co-owner, Nick Stringer opened the proceedings and welcomed visitors before handing over to Tim Godfrey. Co-owner Marcus Woodcock then spoke to thank all those who had helped get the carriage where it is today – a far cry from the gutted ‘wreck’ it was when he took it over in 2002.
It has only just been found out when it was withdrawn from passenger service – 1961. This means it had 20 years in Departmental service - as the Riding Van with the Healey Mills breakdown train.
3669 now takes its place in the LNER set – perhaps the greatest shame being that the public has to be let into it. Frankly, the general consensus was that that a supplement should really be charged to travel in this pristine carriage, despite the fact that, when built, it was a ‘bog standard’ Third class carriage!
The end is in sight for 1623.
No – not its demise – but its completion. With an anticipated completion later this year, Thompson Third Corridor (TK) 1623 lurches towards that goal.
The springs have just been received back from Owens at Sheffield after overhaul. Seven were found repairable, but the eight had to be renewed. These will now be fitted and the completed bogies swapped with the accommodation bogies presently under 1623.
At the same time, the gangway ends will be lifted into place and secured.
Work is progressing well with another potential ‘show stopper’ - the manufacture of the compartment shoulder lights. A blacksmith in the Midlands is making the new backing plates incorporating a toggle switch and bulb holder, whilst a lampshade manufacturer in Suffolk is specially making the lampshades for which the drawings, photos and switches to which they are attached have been sent. This has taken many months to sort but at long last, optimism prevails. All this because BR most inconsiderately threw out everything - luggage racks, seats, lights and one toilet when the carriage was converted for Departmental use with the Civil Engineer.
Work starts on ECJS 189
East Coast Joint Stock Restaurant car No. 189 is now drying out nicely in the Atkins building at Pickering and a start made on stripping what needs stripping. The major problem being addressed is to ascertain why the clerestory roof sags slightly. Already, much wood has been procured to enable the roof to be renovated to the required standard.
The roof cornice which traps the roof canvas is being removed as a new canvas will eventually be refitted. This cornice runs around the entire circumference of the carriage at the top of the body.
Another problem being rectified entails removing internal paneling to gain access to the glue blocks. Unfortunately, whoever put these on previously used the incorrect glue type. So, they are all being replaced using the correct type of glue, ensuring that they will remain in place to do their intended job – holding on the teak panels. Local school parties have already visited the unique carriage as part of the educational and interpretative elements sought by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
It’s hard to believe this carriage, built in 1894, was withdrawn as long ago as 1929 and then survived for decades on a pig farm at Holme on Spalding Moor.
Fish Van latest
Once the bogies for Thompson TK 1623 are finished and placed under the carriage, it is intended to move the 1948-built Fish Van, the last complete survivor, to Pickering yard to enable our coded welder to resume work. Then, once the LMS brakevan is finished by the Pickering Wagon Group, there will then be room in the Atkins building to move E75169. This is because ECJS 189 is only 51’6” long, leaving space for two wagons – the Esso tank wagon, the present major project by the PWG, and our Fish Van.
The completion of the Fish Van has significant repercussions, because it will allow many of the major spares we hold to be housed inside it, such as spare gangway ends. This, in turn, will free up space in the workshop at High Mill.
The first of our two Coach Weeks takes place in the last week in May (25th-29th) with both weekends either side thrown in. There is plenty going on finishing 3669, 1623 and on-going work with 189. A warm welcome (and tea and cake) awaits anyone who would like to pop in – even for just a day to see if you enjoy the experience. We can be found in the Atkins building adjacent to the car park at Pickering station (over High Mill crossing, 100 yards past the station itself).
For more details, contact Murray Brown tel. 01733 578000.
We have just launched several new schemes to help raise restoration funds on-line for the LNER Carriage Association on-line, with just few extra clicks. The new on-line fund raising schemes consist of two web shopping portals and two search engine schemes, and by using these schemes you can help raise money for us, without it costing you a penny!
The two shopping portals are buy.at and easyfundraising.co.uk. If you shop on-line, using either of these portals, then for every purchase you make, we receive commission on that purchase, whilst you pay the same amount as you would have, if you had made the purchase direct!
On-line shops available through the Buy At scheme include Amazon, Asda, CD Wow, E.on, Hertz, Ikea, More Than, National Lottery, Premier Inn, and many more. The complete list of participating stores, and what commission they offer, can be viewed on the site. This scheme doesn't even require you to register, all you have to do is go to http://buy.at/lnerca , and start shopping!!
On-line shops available through the Easyfundraising scheme include AA Travel Insurance, Argos, Blockbuster, iTunes, More Than, The Trainline, Thomas Cook, WH Smiths and Wickes. The complete list of participating stores can be viewed here . To use this scheme, you do need to register first, a process that only takes a few minutes and can be done here .
Search Engine Schemes
The two search engine schemes are www.everyclick.com and www.easysearch.org.uk . These schemes work by the web company donating some of the money they receive from advertising fees, for each search that is completed using the search portal.
Site last updated 21st May 2015Opinions expressed on this web site do not necessarily represent the policies of the LNERCA Committee. © 2014 L.N.E.R. Coach Association.